Tuesday, May 21, 2013

What did I want to say?

Now I understand Poor Dory's frustration too. A Must Watch people! I would't say it is Nolan's best, but his revolutionary methods are awe-inspiring.

What if you realise that everything you remember is a lie? Or worse, you dont?  What if I told you that you remembered it that way because I told you so. I prompted that memory, when it wasnt actually there. What you think is fact may actually be false. That is the bit that scared me the most.

What a transient thing memory is. How well can you rely on your mind? Do you remember what you had for breakfast yesterday? How about the day before that? How about today 5 years ago? Do you remember the last significant place you were? The day you visited the Pyramids? Do you recall exactly what it looked like? The smell of the sand? The heat on your face?

How did get here?

This movie made me think a lot. It scared me too. It was so beautifully taken and now I understand why it irks people so when we compare it to its Bollywood ripoff, Ghajini. There was no comparison. In Ghajini they take you on this drawn out hellish journey  on how he meets his wife in the first place and then creates a good (not) old fashioned villain to kill his wife. No spoilers for Memento but they obviously handled it much better without boring us with details of courtship.

Where Am I?

It features two timelines, one in proper chronological order in black and white, giving the audience clues to try to piece together the movie into a jagged whole and the other in colour, featuring clips with the sequences backwards, to try to make the audience understand Leonard's condition.

Imagine forgetting all that you know. Imagine not knowing the difference between what is real, and
what is not. All sounds rather dramatic dosent it? Well, these are the things that happen to Leonard Shelby (Guy Pearce)  in the movie Memento (2000). An accident to the head causes him to develop Short term memory loss which means that he forgets what has happened in the previous 12 minutes.. now, what was it I was talking about?  The movie is mind-blowing albeit a little difficult to understand.
Yes,I just saw Memento. I sincerely thank my friends for prompting me to see this. Mindblowing.

Now, read this backwards. Multiply your initial frustration 1000 times and you begin to understand a little how it is to watch Memento. You're welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment