Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Oh Captain, My Captain.

"No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."


These words were said by Robin Williams' character (John Keating, creating an unrealistic image for English teachers everywhere) in Dead Poet's Society. And boy, did he believe it. 

The news of his sudden death has gutted me to the core. I had always assumed that someone with such a vibrant personality, one who brought so much joy and laughter into this world to adults and kids alike would live forever. It seems such a cruel sort of irony that he should take his own life in a fit of depression. 


I've watched his movies as far back as I remember. He was such an integral part of my childhood that I find it hard to believe that people have seen so few of his movies. The first of his movies I remember watching is Flubber. His portrayal of an absent-minded professor was hilarious and perfect. And who can forget Mrs.Doubtfire, remade into so many movies by the Indian film industry. Another movie people tend to forget is Patch Adams, the original father of the Munnabhai MBBS series. 


As a child, watching Aladdin, I had always maintained that the Genie was my all-time favourite Disney character. It was only later that I found out this quirky ball of energy was voiced by Robin Williams himself. It is said that Disney was left with over 16 hours of improvised material, most of it inappropriate for children. 


Which brings me to why he was truly my hero. His comedic talent and love of accents inspired a little girl in the suburbs of an unknown Middle Eastern country to try her own voice out. His razor sharp wit and quick comebacks made her want to strive to bring people laughter and happiness too. He was more than just an actor, he was an inspiration. He also features in my favorite episode of Whose Line is it Anyway?. 


One might ask how such a wondrous, happy and hilarious personality was left crumbling with depression in his life. This is where I get truly serious.


I have always believed that India in particular has been sorely ignorant (or just reluctant to discuss, like so many other topics we won't mention) on the subject of mental illnesses. 

"Why are you depressed? Snap out of it! Aren't you happy that your family is alive and well? That you have a job? It's just a phase it will go." 

Repeat after me:

THERE IS NO SOLID CAUSE FOR DEPRESSION.
Again.
ANYBODY, AND I MEAN ANYBODY CAN GET DEPRESSION.
Again.
IT CAN TAKE YEARS TO COME OUT OF DEPRESSION.
Again.
IT IS LIFE THREATENING.

If you know someone going through this, get your awkward narrow-minded ass out of your chair and HELP THEM.  Robin Williams proved that anyone can go through this terrible thing and it is something not to be taken lightly. How many more people need to die before you can see this? 


As for Rockin' Robin, Oh Captain, My Captain, My hero and comedic role model, you will be missed. All around the world, everywhere.

Genie, you're free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment